Invitational Meeting/Info Session Kit
The purpose of this meeting is to spark an interest in Phi Sigma Pi, answer questions, outline the goals of the organization, meet people, and prove that the organization is for them. Most Chapters have two Invitational Meetings per term (always plan a snow/inclement weather date when the season dictates). Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday nights, between 6 - 9 p.m., seem to be the most popular with the least amount of conflict between classes, jobs, etc. A typical Invitational Meetings has the following characteristics:
- All active Members are present. (Mandatory Event)
- All active Members wear letters/colors.
- Scrapbooks/awards/banners are displayed.
- Refreshments are provided. (chips, pretzels, soda, etc.)
- Members should not consume refreshments during the Invitational Meeting.
- All active Members and Potential New Members introduce themselves - name, major and why they joined or are interested in joining Phi Sigma Pi.
- Presentation of national Invitational Meeting PowerPoint or Chapter recruitment video by the President, Recruitment Advisor and Initiate Advisor.
- Question and answer period.
- Interested students sign-up and are informed about the next meeting.
- Allow time for post-meeting socialization.
- Shake hands with Potential New Members as they leave.
Preparation for the Informational Night:
- Recruitment committee - one hour before the meeting begins set-up.
- Membership - half an hour before the meeting begins.
- ENERGIZE time (do Chapter chants, songs, etc.)
- Review the information and provide additional updates.
- Ask for greeters (to welcome prospective members at the door).
- Members should be standing ready to converse with incoming Potential New Members.
Start on time! This shows that you value the prospective members’ time. Keep in mind that you might be very surprised by the turn-out, especially when the invitational letters were used as a means of advertising
Another big part of the Invitational Meeting/Info Session is the PowerPoint Presentation. There are two PowerPoint Presentation templates available for your Chapter to use. One with just the details and another with an activity at the end. The most important two tips include practicing your presentation until you feel comfortable and spotlighting Members in your Chapter whenever you can, such as asking for Committee Chairs to share event examples.
Watch the video for more tips on how to prepare for the Invitational Meeting/Info Session.